Good Day World news

Vigo festival collapse in Spain injures hundreds

Vigo festival collapse in Spain injures hundreds13-08-2018

More than 300 people have been injured, five seriously, after a section of wooden platform collapsed at an urban sports and music festival in Spain.

It had been packed with people watching a rap artist at the two-day O Marisquiño event in the north-west city of Vigo, in Galicia.

Police confirmed that there were no known fatalities.

Witnesses reported scenes of panic as people - many of them teenagers - tried to scramble to safety.

Some fell into the sea.

Personal effects such as mobile phones and handbags were left scattered on the ground.

Several emergency teams attended to the injured, and divers were sent into the sea to check that no-one was trapped beneath the structure.

The incident happened shortly before midnight on Sunday as a crowd was listening to the Majorcan rap artist Rels B.

According to eyewitnesses, the wooden platform gave way during the first song of the concert as Rels B, who had just started his performance, told the crowd to jump, local media report.

"The floor [of the platform] dropped like a lift. It was a matter of five seconds," Aitana Alonso told a local newspaper. "It broke and we all fell. People fell on me. I had trouble getting out. I was trying to get out and skidded, my foot got stuck, in the water. I got it out. A boy gave me his hand and I got out. I felt paralysed and [then] I left. There was a girl with blood on her head."

Earlier, the regional health minister, Jesus Vazquez Almuina, told local radio about the nature of the injuries people suffered.

"These are provisional figures, patients are still being evaluated... The vast majority are light injuries for bruises. There are five hospitalisations, mainly broken bones and some head injuries," he told local radio.

In a tweet (in Spanish), Rels B wished "strength" to the injured and advised anyone worried about friends or relatives to contact an emergency information point set up by festival organisers.

The mayor of the city, Abel Caballero, has said there will be an investigation into the causes of the incident.

It is not yet clear whether the platform collapsed because there were too many people on it, or because the structure itself was weak, or whether other factors were involved.

O Marisquiño is a free festival taking place outdoors in Vigo in August, attended by some 160,000 visitors.

It features various cultural activities, including concerts and gastronomy, and some 10 sports competitions - including skateboarding and mountain biking - over a three-day period.


continua

INDONESIA: At least 91 victims

Indonesia terremoto07-08-2018

 JAKARTA, AUGUST 6- The victims of the earthquake on the Indonesian island of Lombok rise to 91. This was announced by the Natinal Disaster Mitigation Agency, however, explaining that the budget is likely to rise as rescuers have not yet managed to reach some of the areas most affected by the earthquake in the north of the island. Spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said there was "huge" damage to the north of Lombok, where hundreds of houses and other  buildings reported damage.


continua

New Mexico: Police find 11 starving children in compound

New Mexico: Police find 11 starving children in compound06-08-2018

Police in the US state of New Mexico have rescued 11 malnourished children who were being kept in squalid conditions in a remote desert compound.

They said the children, aged one to 15, had no shoes, were wearing rags and "looked like Third World refugees".

Five adults were found at the scene, including two heavily armed men.

Police searched the site after receiving a message from a third party that read: "We are starving and need food and water."

It is not clear how the group ended up at the compound in Amalia, near the state's border with Colorado.

Police described the compound as a small underground caravan covered by plastic, with no running water or electricity.

Taos County Sheriff Jerry Hogrefe told ABC News the children were hungry, thirsty and filthy.

"I've been a cop for 30 years. I've never seen anything like this. Unbelievable," he said.

"They were skinny, their ribs showed, they were in very poor hygiene and very scared."

No fresh water was found at the site, and the only food there was a few potatoes and a box of rice, police said.

Two armed men, Siraj Wahhaj and Lucan Morton, were arrested at the scene, and charged with several counts of child abuse.

Three women, believed to be the children's mothers, were detained but later released.

Mr Hogrefe told it appeared the women and children "were brainwashed and feel great intimidation from the men that were in control of this facility".

The 11 children have been taken into care by local social services.

Mr Wahhaj is also wanted on suspicion of abducting his three-year-old son, but the boy was not among the group found at the compound, US media report. It was the search for the boy that led to the arrests on Friday.

Police said they had been aware of the compound for some time but had to wait for a search warrant to be issued before entering, as the occupants were "most likely heavily armed and considered extremist of the Muslim belief".

Mr Wahhaj was armed with an AR-15 rifle and four pistols when they encountered him, they said.


continua

AFGHANISTAN - accordo per governo unità firmato dai due candidati alla presidenza

AFGHANISTAN -  accordo per governo unità firmato dai due candidati alla presidenza03-10-2014

I due candidati del ballottaggio presidenziale svoltosi il 14 giugno in Afghanistan, Abdullah Abdullah e Ashraf Ghani, hanno firmato...


continua